The Skilled Regional Visa Subclass 887 is a non-points-based, second stage, and permanent visa granted to the applicants if they have previously stayed and worked in any territorial region in Australia. It has replaced the State or Territory Nominated Independent Visa Subclass 137. The second stage Skilled Designated Area Sponsored Visa Subclass 883. This visa allows its holders to live permanently in Australia. This write-up gives a detailed account of the visa requirements and how to apply.
What Are The 887 visa requirements?
For a successful application, you have to satisfy the following 887 visa requirements.
- You must have held an eligible visa. Due to the current pandemic-ridden situation, the Department allows applications if the visa expired during the COVID-19 concession period outside Australia. The eligible visa list is as follows.
- Regional Visa Subclass 489 (Provisional)
- Skilled Designated Area Sponsored Visa Subclass 496 (Provisional)
- Regional Visa 495 (Provisional)
- Skilled Regional Sponsored Visa (Subclass 487 and 475)
- Bridging Visa A or Bridging Visa B after applying for Subclass 487, 489, or 495 visas.
- Applicant must have lived for a minimum of 2 years in a specific regional area and have been employed there for full-time work (at least 35 hours a week) for a minimum of 1 year unless there were no COVID-19 concessions.
- You should have fulfilled all the 887 visa work requirements and complied with the conditions of the previous visa.
- You will need to undergo the necessary health examinations, including chest HIV tests, chest x-ray, and other essential medical tests.
- Besides health requirements, you should also provide character requirements. You need to get a satisfactory result in the character test and
- submit the necessary character clearance certificates.
- If you have lived in a designated area for at least 2 years, an eligible relative should have sponsored you.
- You should have no uncleared debts to the Australian Government.
- Having a functional level of English knowledge is necessary.
The Application Process for Skilled Regional Visa Subclass 887
We have discussed the whole Skilled Regional Visa 887 application procedure here in five steps.
Step 1: Collect the Skilled Regional Visa Subclass 887 documents
Before making the final submission, you should have a thorough look at the 887 visa checklist of documents.
Step 2: You have to be inside Australia
You may apply while being inside or outside Australia. But, the application is processed mainly for those currently living in Australia.
Step 3: Lodge the application
The visa application should be lodged online.
Step 4: Review by the Department of Home Affairs
Once the application is complete by submitting all the documents and the filled out form, the Department of Home Affairs starts reviewing processing it.
Step 5: Visa decision
If your application is approved, the notice is generally sent to the applicant via email. The information will include visa commencement date, visa grant number, and also applicable 887 visa conditions. Even if the application is denied, the Department will also notify stating the valid reasons for the denial. They will also mention whether you can appeal the decision or not.
You will naturally want a favorable decision on your application. Thus, hiring a migration agent from Adelaide will ease your job and reduce stress.
What Is The subclass 887 processing time?
The subclass 887 processing time varies according to the number of applications submitted. Typically, for 75% of applications, it is 14 months, while it is 20 months for 90% of applications.
What Are The Benefits of Skilled Regional Visa Subclass 887?
If you have lived for 2 years or more in a specified or designated region of Australia and have worked full-time for at least 12 months, you can get the 887 Visa Australia. This visa offers several benefits to its holders.
- You can include your beloved family members in the skilled regional visa subclass 887 applications like your partner and your or your partner’s dependent child.
- It allows the visa holder to live permanently in Australia.
- Once eligible, you will be eligible to apply for your Australian citizenship.
- Though you will get this visa only if you have stayed in a regional area of Australia, after receiving this visa, you can work, study, and live anywhere in Australia.
- You are allowed leave and return to the country as many times as you wish.
- Applicant can access Medicare, which is the national healthcare scheme for Australia.
- You will be eligible to sponsor your eligible relatives who want to become permanent residents in Australia.
- To do study in Australia student visa subclass 500 is the popular choice among the international students.
What Are The Current Changes Due To The COVID-19 Pandemic?
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of Home Affairs is now giving some relaxation on the applications made outside the country. The reason behind it is that international borders are currently closed to avoid spreading the virus, and people are now unable to come to Australia and make the application. But for such an applicant, showing some relevant documents is necessary.
- You should have worked full-time for at least 9 months in a specified regional area. The period could be shorter if there were a specific order from the Ministry.
- You must have lived for at least 18 months (one and a half years) in a specified regional area. Here also, the period could have been shorter as per the Ministry’s instructions.
But, for someone living in Australia, living for 2 years in a specified regional area is mandatory and having 9 months of full-time work experience.
Which Are The Specified Regional Areas Of Australia?
Here we give a complete list of specified regional and low population growth metropolitan areas where you should have lived for a minimum of 2 years.
- New South Wales (NSW): Living anywhere except Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong, and the Central Coast will make you eligible.
- Northern Territory: Living anywhere in the entire territory will grant you a skilled regional visa subclass 887.
- Queensland: Staying anywhere except the Gold Coast and the greater Brisbane area is the eligibility.
- South Australia: There are no restrictions imposed.
- Tasmania: You could have lived anywhere in the state.
- Victoria: Unless you have lived in the metropolitan area of Melbourne, you will be eligible.
- Western Australia: Perth and the surrounding areas are exempt from it.
Which Are The Designated Areas Of Australia?
The designated areas of Australia as set by the Government are as follows.
- Australian Capital Territory or ACT: You could have lived anywhere in the entire territory.
- New South Wales: Any area except Sydney, Wollongong, and Newcastle is eligible.
- Northern Territory: No area specification is there.
- Queensland: You must have avoided the Brisbane metropolitan area.
- South Australia: The entire state is eligible.
- Tasmania: It will be absolutely fine if you have lived anywhere in Tasmania.
- Victoria: Living anywhere in this state will make you eligible.
- Western Australia: There are no area specifications for this state either.
This visa is unique because it can only be applied if someone has previously held an eligible visa. Though it is a PR visa, its travel component expires 5 years after the visa is approved. That is why we always recommend consulting migration agents in Adelaide. An immigration agent from Adelaide will always show you the right direction and guide you properly with the experience they have gained.
Read More – Technical tips